- If a man speaks in the woods with no woman to hear .. is he still wrong?
- I can’t believe Murdock beat out a million other sperm.
- If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders. (Hal Abelson)
- In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. (Carl Sagan)
- A closed mouth gathers no feet.
- A consultant is someone who takes the watch off your wrist and tells you the time. Then he keeps the watch.
- I never repeat gossip, so I’ll say this only once.
- I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
- I couldn’t fail to disagree with you less!
- Our universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time.
- What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a universe for them to describe? (Stephen Hawking)
- To be immortal with a finite memory is highly unsatisfactory. (Freeman Dyson)
- Why should I care about future generations – what have they ever done for me?
- Maybe one day we’ll figure out how to synthesize a new universe in a lab, set off a Big Bang, and move in.
- Right now I’m having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before. (Steven Wright)
- The three great American lies: Of course I’ll respect you in the morning. The check is in the mail. I’m from the government and I’m here to help you.
- Committees do harm merely by existing. (Freeman Dyson)
- Your IQ is so low it’s almost a shoe size.
- I keep six honest serving men (They taught me all I know); Their names are What and Why and When And How and Where and Who. (Rudyard Kipling)
- There is a wide variety of opinions on consultants. Some people hate them, and some people hate them a lot.
- I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying. (Woody Allen)
- Humanity can be divided into two categories: those who divide humanity into two categories and those who don’t.
- The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I’ve found it!) but “That’s funny….” (Isaac Asimov)
- And finally, to my cousin Willie, who always wanted to be remembered in my will, Hi, Willie.
- Dyslexics, untie!
- Sure I am a freeloader but my morals permit that.
- And this is your wife, or am I mistaken again?
- You can observe a lot just by watching. (Yogi Berra)
- In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. (Yogi Berra)
- The noble art of losing face will one day save the human race. (Piet Hein, quoted by Hans Blix)
- Everything’s either concave or -vex, so whatever you dream will be something with sex. (Piet Hein)
- I was promised flying cars! Where are the flying cars?! (Avery Brooks)
- It’s not the things I forget that bother me; it’s the things I remember clearly that never happened.
- If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin’.
- Weather prediction will never be accurate until we kill all the butterflies.
- I do not know who discovered water, but it probably was not a fish.
- When life hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
- Theology is man telling God what to think.
- I believe you when you say that you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you understand that what I said is not what I meant.
- Eschew obfuscation.
- I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming like his passengers.
- It ain’t over till the fat lady sings. (Tristan and Isolde, perhaps?)
- The fat lady is clearing her throat. (A standard comment from kibitzers on the Internet Chess Club.)
- Of course I don’t believe that putting a horseshoe over my door will bring me luck, but they say that it brings luck even to those who don’t believe in it. (Niels Bohr)
- Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. (Groucho Marx)
- Basically my wife was immature. I’d be at home in my bath and she’d come in and sink my boats.
- If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee.
I bought my iPhone 3G on the day it was launched in India: August 22, 2008. I had to go book mine a day before and I guess that made it easier, I did not have to wait in a queue. I just landed at the store, showed my booking receipt, they charged my card for the balance and handed me the phone – but then they took it back to ‘activate’ it and gave it back after another couple of minutes. Largely a smooth process – compared to the horrific stories about the US Launch on July 11.
The first thing I did was to turn off the 3G radio. Since India does not have 3G yet, and not expected for another 6 months on Airtel. It’s best to turn this off to save battery. To do this, just go to Settings->General->Network and turn off ‘Enable 3G’.
Next thing I noticed is that iTunes would take way too long to backup the phone everytime I wanted to sync. So I disabled the automatic backup by doing the following on my mac:
Open Terminal, type: defaults write com.apple.iTunes DeviceBackupsDisabled -bool true
and hit return
Note iTunes should not be running when you do this. Launch iTunes after doing this and it won’t backup the phone every time. I am thinking that I would like to re-enable backup by changing the ‘true’ above to ‘false’ once in a month.
For Windows folks:
1. Locate your iTunesPrefs.xml file. It’s usually located in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes or C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple computer\iTunes.
2. Open it in Notepad and search for a section called User Preferences and paste the following snipped into the User Preferences Section after the first <dict>:
3. Save the file and launch iTunes. You may want to take a backup of your existing iTunesPrefs.xml first.
Next: Turn off the Equalizer of the iPod since it eats up battery when it plays songs. Turn off the EQ by going to the Settings > iPod > EQ and change to Off.
I’ll add more as I use my iPhone more 🙂
Generally, the browser feels more stable and polished then before, definitely worth keeping and using.
Of course, there are a host of new features like HTML5 support and Google Gears type caching.